When I bought my first Click and Grow device, I was amazed at its construction. However, I noticed pretty quickly that there was mold on the grow sponges. Over several years of practice, I have developed some tricks that help me solve this problem.
To prevent mold in Click and Grow, keep the water level in the bowl so that the float is not above the grow deck. Also, sprinkle cinnamon powder on the surface of the grow sponges.
These are quick tips on how to solve this problem. Next, I will tell you what else you can do to avoid mold and how to proceed if mold has already appeared.
In general, mold is the germinated spores of a fungus. These spores are found almost everywhere and if the ground gets too wet the fungus will germinate and a white fluffy substance will appear on the surface.
Maintain the right temperature
The first thing you need to take care of to avoid mold is temperature. It is best if you have a temperature of 64-75F (18 to 24C) in your home. If the temperature is higher than this range, the risk of mold increases.
Also, make sure that Click and Grow is not placed near devices that produce heat. This could be a heater, stove, microwave, etc.
For the same reason, avoid placing Click and Grow on a sunny window. The fact is that the sun can strongly heat both the water and the soil. This is the perfect environment for mold to grow.
Monitor humidity levels
The next thing is humidity. You need to avoid high humidity around Click and Grow.
The first thing you need to do is to remove the U-shaped lids as soon as the seedlings appear. If the soil surface can breathe this will reduce the possibility of mold.
Also, you need to avoid placing Click and Grow in a humid room. The ideal humidity is about 50%. If necessary, install a dehumidifier near the plants or set up an air conditioner.
Maintain proper ventilation
My following recommendation is that you need good air movement in the room. Air conditioning or ventilating the room is not enough to avoid mold in Click and Grow.
I recommend installing a fan in front of the unit. Turn it on 2-3 times daily for at least 10 minutes. You can set a timer and everything will happen automatically.
Air movement greatly reduces mold in Click and Grow. This is especially important if your unit is located near a wall or in a corner where there is no proper air exchange.
Remove mold with a paper towel
In case mold has appeared in your Click and Grow you need to remove it from there. Take a paper towel and wipe the mold off the surface of the sponge.
Be very careful not to damage the plant stem. If you break the stem the plant may not grow back and you will have to start over.
This is an easy and effective way to remove the mold for a while. Repeat this from time to time and your Click and Grow will be mold and algae free.
After you wipe the mold off the grow sponge, sprinkle some cinnamon on its surface. Cinnamon is able to suppress the germination of fungal spores. This will prevent mold from reappearing.
Sprinkle the cinnamon in an even and thin layer on the sponge. Avoid getting cinnamon on the stems and leaves of the plant as it can cause burns.
It is also possible that the cinnamon will lose its properties over time and mold may reappear. In this case, wipe off the mold again and sprinkle with cinnamon.
All Click and Grow devices are not hydroponic. They are self-watering growing systems. Water in the bowl goes into the pot through the wick.
To keep the sponge from pulling too much water you need to fill the bowl so that the float is at grow deck level or even slightly lower.
If the float rises above the grow deck, the excess water can wet the sponges too much and this will lead to mold.
Regularly clean the system
My final recommendation is to keep your Click and Grow clean. This applies primarily to plant debris. Remove any dead leaves from the plants. Also, remove anything that has fallen off the plants onto the surface of the sponge.
Secondly, change the water in the bowl once a month. The water and the sponge have no direct contact but it is better for the plants to have clean water.
Is the white mold on my Click & Grow harmful?
The mold that can appear in your Click & Grow is not harmful to the plants that grow there. The spores of this fungus parasitize only on dead organic matter and do no harm to living tissue.
The same applies to humans. This type of mold is safe for humans. Only people with allergies may feel discomfort.