Skip to Content

Are Coral Bells Toxic To Dogs?

There are a great many wild plants and even more cultivated ones. It is not always clear whether they are safe.

Coral Bells are not toxic to dogs. You don’t have to worry about your pet getting poisoned or otherwise getting hurt if heucheras are growing in your garden.

In the following, I will elaborate on this issue and you will also find out when these plants can be dangerous. Also, be sure to read the main article How to Plant and Care for Coral Bells.

Are Coral Bells Toxic To Dogs

Are all parts non-toxic?

All parts of Coral Bells are non-toxic to dogs. This includes the leaves, stems, and roots. Whichever part your pet eats will be fine.

Often some plants have substances in their tissues that cause distension in the pet’s stomach. This is how the plant protects itself from being eaten.

In most cases, the leaves are toxic because most of the herbivores eat the leaves in the first place. At the same time, the stems and roots can be non-toxic or slightly toxic.

Some animals, such as deer, are able to digest the leaves of almost any plant, even if they are toxic. This is how animals adapt to their habitat.

Don’t use pesticides

Very often plants need to be protected from pests. The most effective protection against pests is pesticides. But as a result, the plants become toxic not only to them but also to dogs.

The same applies to organic pesticides. Neem oil, for example, works more as a repellent. But if a dog swallows part of a plant treated with neem oil, it can cause indigestion.

So if you have a dog and need to treat Corla Bells use only an organic product. In addition, restrict the animal’s access to the plant for a few days after treatment.

This can be done by placing a fence around the plant. Or you can watch the dog when he is outside all the time. Keep the dog indoors most of the time until the horticultural oil has worn off.

Companion plants

If you grow Coral Bells together with other plants, there is a risk that some of them may be toxic. So read this chapter to make sure that none of the plants in your bed are poisonous.

Among heuchera companions, the hosta is a toxic plant for dogs. All parts of this plant have been proven to contain saponins. These are substances that cause vomiting in dogs.

So if you have hostas, keep them out of your pet’s reach. Or get rid of them.

The second plant that is toxic and is often planted with Coral Bells is Pulmonaria. This plant contains alkaloids in addition to saponins.

If the dog swallows a part of this plant, it can cause indigestion, diarrhea, and many other unpleasant consequences. Therefore, you should definitely keep this plant away from your dog.

In case your dog is poisoned, you should immediately go to the veterinarian. In most cases, the pet should remain healthy and unharmed after the visit to the vet.

Other creatures

Because Coral Bells is non-toxic to dogs means that it is also non-toxic to other animals. If you have a cat, horse, or any other pet, you have nothing to worry about because no harm will come to them.

The same is true for wild animals. Deer or rabbits will never get poisoned by this plant, not because it is not toxic but because their internal organs can digest even toxic plants (such as hostas).

In fact, heucheras need protection from animals and insects, not the other way around. For example, voles and weevils can cause considerable harm to these plants.